• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Lump in armpit - very worried

Artificial Emotion

Bluelighter
I have a lump the size of a pea under my left armpit which is painful to the touch. I can't wiggle it around.

I am not able to go to the doctor ATM (please don't ask).

Please please please tell me this is not likely to be serious. I am shitting myself :(.

Last edited:
No idea what it is, but if it's any consolation I found a small wart in my right armpit the other week. It's about 2mm across, so it must have just started growing.

I've only ever had one other wart before (honest), and that was on my finger at school years ago. I gouged it out with a compass point.

How do I get rid of my oxter one? It's not nice being warty!

It is NOT a wart as it is under my skin. Fuck, I just had to take 2mg lorazepam just to calm down. I am really worried.

Well- AE, only a Dr. can tell you what it is.
It could be nothing, or it could be something.
I suggest, no matter what your financial situation, you find a way to have it checked out.
It is best to know as quickly as possible no matter what.....saves you the worry if it is nothing, and gets you on the road to the help you need if it is something serious.

I am going to send this to HL though- You may find some more help over there.
I wish you the best and please keep us posted, when you do find out!!

If it makes you feel any better, I had a lump in my arm pit years ago. Just as you described, it caused some pain and I could feel it as well. I went to the DR and she said it was nothing to worry about.

Sometimes it can just be a swollen gland if your body is fighting off an infection. You should see a Dr just to make sure.

Sometimes it can just be a swollen gland if your body is fighting off an infection. You should see a Dr just to make sure.

This is true. It could also be an ingrown hair. I've gotten a few of those in my armpit, and I could feel a painful pea-sized lump too, but it went away in a few days. I'd guess this is likely what it is, and in that case I'd suggest putting ice on it and try to avoid wearing deoderant (it further clogs the hair duct or w\e). I was scared too, AE, because I know it feels like something serious, but in my case, it really was not at all.

Please don't panic, because you don't know what's wrong yet, and it could be nothing. I'd say just keep an eye on it, and if it's not gone in a few days, then try to go to the doctor (I know you can't right now, but just go when you are able)

One last thing, I don't say this to scare you, but sometimes lumps in your armpit can be a sign of breast cancer... so, if you are a woman, (sorry, I didn't check ur profile for gender) I'd suggest feeling around your breasts and looking out for anything abnormal there - (it's actually possible for men to get breast cancer too, but not likely). Again, not trying to scare you, I'm sure you are fine but its better to be safe than sorry.

In all likelihood, it's nothing. The possibility is there though, so please do whatever you can to get checked out when you are able.

Last edited:
I'm a male who's grandmother had breast cancer. I also ab(used) steroids, which vwould have messed my hormonal status. I also once did a botched mcath synth when I was younger and had a massive exposure to chemicals such as benzaldehyde.

it sounds like a lymph node to me. do you have an infection anywhere?

See your doctor.

The quicker the better, probably nothing though but no point risking it..

Were all just guessing here.

There is no point in even making this thread if you say "I can't see a doctor, dont ask."

You need to see a doctor. Period. End of discussion. It could be lymph node cancer or it could be an infected lymph node. Either way, there is NO way to tell unless you get checked out.

I had a lump under my armpit when I was in Peru, was absolutely shitting myself and had to deal with doctors who spoke only spanish. Ended up being a cyst and a course of deoxycycline cleared it up a treat. But go see a doctor regardless, you never know.

most likely a swollen node of some sort i would say

but yeah go see a doctor obviously.. theres only so much people can tell you over the internet from a brief description dude

Warts are not lumps under the skin, warts you can see them they are different to any other growths and they are innocuous for the most part, except that they multiply. They don't hurt either.
Cancer does not hurt, most times are not painful, but none the less, you want to check growths either way to make certain! What it is so painful as you describe, though, is either a swollen lymphgland, a gaglion, a blind cyst, or a trigger point. After you see the doctor, (sure it is innocuous) though it does hurt, try and place some pressure on it and hold it there, and do it every so often. If it is a trigger point (most times is), a hot compress and pressue may dissolve it. The same if it is a cyst, finger pressure on it, should assist to dissolve. I don't know how long you had it, but sometimes they take a while to dissapear.
No one knows what it may be, unless someone visually sees it and palpates and the exact area it is. Your doctor is the first you should visit. If painful, it most prapably is not anything to worry about.

I had that once and convinced myself i had lymphoma. Surprisingly I didn't, just an enlarged lymph node that went away by itself.

The only way you're going to clear up the mystery is by seeing a doctor.

They are axillary lymph nodes. Here's the skinny on lymphnodes. Painful, inflammed and moveable means there is an infection in the site upstream of where the lymph node drains. Notice how when you have a sinus infection the lymph nodes under your jaw get swollen and painful. A fixed lymph node (non-moveable) which is swollen and not painful can often be a sign of cancer.

Do you have a fever or any other signs of infection/inflammation (tired, achey, etc..)? If it continues to persist after a few days I'd recommend getting it checked out as soon as possible, particularly if you have a family history of cancer. If it is resulting from an infection it will be self resolving (going away on its own).

yup, probably just an infection, especially if it's tender/painfull to the touch (which is actually a good sign) , if its not painful, well see the above post.
One last thing, lymph nodes can remain swollen for a fairly long time, even after you feel completely better, but if it's an infection and not something more serious, this is usually normal. Maybe consider taking some extra vitamins, drink lots of water, and maybe try some herbal supps like astragalus (sp?), to boost your immune system.

it could be a cyst, or a staph infection. go see a doctor, my friend had the bad kind of staph and almost died

have u been in a hot tub or pool recently? the ph levels sometimes are hard to manage and this could lead to staph infections in the more vulnerable areas of the body. this was told to me by a doctor cuz this fucking happened to me. i couldnt put my arm down for days. well gave me some antibiotics and that was that.

good luck w/ whatever it is

I found a similar lump to what you're describing in my underarm once, and I was terrified because my mum had breast cancer and had to have the lymph nodes in her arm removed. It turns out it was what ThaiDie4 suggested - just an ingrown hair. It happens especially when you shave your armpits. I think I was precribed a cortisol cream and it went away.